Minutes/Recent

Minutes of the Granite Community Counate:

Date: June 7, 2017
Location: Metropolitan Water District Offices Conference Room

3430 East Danish Road

Council Members Present:

Michael Braun, Chair (Dist. 1 & 2); Gorm Klungervik, Vice-Chair (Dist. 1 & 2); Katie Clayton (Dist. 4); Drew Weaver, Treasurer (Dist. 4); Josh Kanter (Dist. 5); Nycha Schlegel (Dist. 5); Susie Albertson (Dist. 6); Bill Clayton, Secretary (Dist. 6); and Mary Young (non-voting Chief Administrative Officer).

Council Members Absent:

Jeff Summerhays (Alt., Dist. 1 & 2); Spencer Mortensen (Alt., Dist. 3); and Cyndi Douglass (Dist. 5).

Guests Present:

Representative Robert Spendlove, District 49

Rita Lund, Salt Lake County (SLCo) Liaison

Chief Kevin Thacker, Sandy Police Department

Anna McNamer, Dimple Dell Advisory Board & DD Preservation Community

Bekee Hotze, United States Forest Service (USFS)

Scott McBride, Unified Fire Authority (UFA)

Dave Fields, Snowbird

Ron Vance, SLCo Planning Commission

Det. Paula Stinson, Unified Police Department (UPD)

Chief Jason Mazuran, UPD/Midvale Precinct

Residents: Tali Bruce, Paul Albertson, Patrick Romero, Sarah Romero, Lisa Romero, Ronnie Romero, Giles Florence, Ann Florence, Ashley Anderson, and Eamonn Walsh.

Call to Order: Michael Braun convened the meeting of the Granite Community Council (GCC) at 7:00 pm, welcomed attendees, and led them in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Nycha moved to approve the minutes of the May 3, 20`7 meeting. Bill seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

Public comments (regarding items not on agenda): Anna McNamer gave an update on Dimple Dell issues.  Anna is now on the Dimple Dell Advisory Board (DDAB).  The DDAB meetings are now being held in the party room of the Dimple Dell Rec Center on 106th South at 7:00 pm on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.  They will be held there from now on.

Anna gave an update on the efforts of the Dimple Dell Preservation Community (DDPC).  The planned Dimple Dell task force has not been created yet.  The goal of this task force is to decide how to use the $4 million that had been previously allocated for trail-paving.

Mary said that Mayor McAdams would like to include a broad selection for members of the task force.

Anna said that the Sandy Water Dept. is working to reroute some water into Dimple Dell.  Ty Harrison recently passed away.  He was the “godfather of Dimple Dell Park.”  The DDAB would like to build a nature center and name it after him.

GCC Picks & Pans: Josh recommended that the Council send Sheriff Winder a letter of appreciation for the great support that he’s provided to all of our communities, before he moves to Moab.  Mary volunteered to write the note.

Unified Fire Authority: Scott McBride of UFA talked about upper-management changes.  Nycha talked about the UFA’s recent strategic planning meeting which she and Tod both attended.  Scott said that community meetings are part of the new strategic plan.  A standard of cover will be provided to the public, which is a document that details the scope of services that UFA provides.

Bill asked about taking UFA personnel on a tour of Wasatch Resort to familiarize them with the roads there.  Michael expressed support for this idea, and Scott said he would relay this to Batt. Chief Brad Lynn.

Scott said that Brad Lynn will be in charge of the canyons starting July 1st in addition to his present duties. He also informed us that Dispatch now provides latitude and longitude coordinates to first responders.

Susie asked about parked cars blocking roads.  Scott said they can push cars out of the way in an emergency.  However, illegally parked cars cannot be towed for 48 hours.

Legislative Insights: Rep. Robert Spendlove spoke about numerous issues facing the legislature and then answered questions. Homelessness is a big issue.  It’s especially a problem for Salt Lake City.  There are an estimated 2,500 homeless people in Salt Lake County.  Utah currently does not have a good solution.  Homeless people fall in various categories, including families, youth, men, drug abusers, mentally ill, short-term homeless, long-term homeless, etc.  Some people act like homeless people but really aren’t, thereby victimizing the real homeless people.

Palmer Court, an old Holiday Inn on 13th South and Main, is a long-term homeless housing project geared toward families with young children.  It’s well-controlled and well-kept.  However, once a family is admitted there they tend not to want to leave, so there’s not enough space.  We can’t build 50 Palmer Courts.

The legislature made a one-time appropriation of $20 million last year for building new homeless shelters.  The Odyssey House can currently serve 150 homeless individuals for $2 million per year.  So the real cost would be $20 – $30 million per year to serve the current homeless population.

Currently there are about 300 homeless children under 18 living in Utah.  Many are young kids with single moms.  Intergenerational poverty is a big problem.  Homelessness tends to get passed on from one generation to the next, so we need to help kids break the cycle.  Rep. Spendlove ran a bill that changes the purpose of the intergenerational poverty task force to focus on child homelessness.

Jail capacity is also a problem.  Rep. Spendlove thinks that jail is the wrong place to send homeless people and would prefer to put more money into Odyssey House rather than expanding the county jail.  Also, 75% of homeless have mental health issues.

Medicaid was expanded by the legislature for homeless people, but Utah has not yet received the required Section 1115 waiver from the Dept. of Health and Human Services (HHS), which was submitted in 2016.  Rep. Spendlove speculates that the Obama Administration kicked the can down the road and the Trump Administration is now ignoring the waiver application.

HHS wanted Utah to expand to 138% of poverty line.  60,000 people in Utah without coverage were under 100% of the poverty line.  Those between 100% and 138% were already receiving 98% subsidies on the exchanges.  Medicaid is increasing as a share of our state budget.  We could spend $40 million per year to expand up to 100%.  Rep. Spendlove made this proposal directly to HHS on phone.  They said no, because 138% was their policy objective.

Utah has continued to negotiate with HHS.  Under traditional Medicaid, the federal/state ratio was 70/30.  Under the Affordable Care Act, the ratio is 90/10 federal/state.  Rep. Spendlove proposed expansion using traditional Medicaid ratio of 70/30.

Michael asked what the state does for homeless.  The state provides funding.

Drew asked about crime.  The jail won’t take all offenders.  He expressed concern that we’re giving petty criminals a pass due to lack of jail space.  The focus is on treating mentally-ill or drug-addicted homeless.  Justice reform initiative legislation a few years ago defines down what is a jailable offense.  We won’t throw people in jail for minor offenses.  The homeless population has exploded since that bill passed.  Utah has developed a reputation for being nice to homeless people.  This has attracted more people.

Rep. Spendlove asked Odyssey House for an example of a city that has been successful.  It took them a long time, then they said “San Antonio”.  Michael suggested sending people to look at other cities to see how they’re doing it.

Opioid crisis:  Utah has legalized the availability of naloxone[1].  We need to be more restrictive about prescriptions.  The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) in 1980 said that opioids are a miracle drug with no long term impact.  As a doctor, you are graded on your patients’ happiness.  Some patients will knock them down if they don’t prescribe opioids.  People need to start dealing with pain more effectively.  A 30-day prescription for root canal is enough to be addictive.  Michael talked about someone who doctor-shopped for opioid prescriptions.  He said that the State can intervene and that doctors can look in a database to see whether someone has already gotten prescriptions from other docs.

Mary talked about a class she teaches called Healthy Living with Chronic Conditions, available through Salt Lake County Healthy Aging Services.  One goal is to reduce dependence on meds.  Every time she teaches the class her chronic pain gets better (as do the students!). This is a 6-week, free, workshop.

Public education:  Rep. Spendlove is Vice-Chair of the Public Education Appropriations Committee, which has provided a 4% increase in per pupil student funding.  The State Board of Education requested 3%.  Teachers had been required to pay a license fee to be recertified and the Legislature has now eliminated the fee.  UEA cheered.  Funding for teacher supplies has been changed to ongoing from one-time.  Various districts have been raising teacher pay.  He feels that they have turned a corner and are working more closely with UEA.

Mary asked about medical marijuana.  Rep. Spendlove merged bills in the last session and got it out of committee, which allowed anything except inhaling or smoking.  However, since the original sponsors hadn’t gotten it funded, the bill died.  He expects that it has a pretty good chance of passing in the next session.  There’s also a ballot initiative in the works.

 

The GCC thanked Rep. Spendlove for attending, providing a lot of good information to us, and answering questions. He stayed for the remainder of the meeting.

Salt Lake County Report: Rita Lund The Municipal Services District (MSD) is getting put together but there are still lots of unanswered questions.  The MSD Board of Trustees meeting is next Wednesday at 6:00.  They will reopen the 2017 budget due to Millcreek’s leaving the MSD.

The League of Unincorporated Community Councils (LUCC) needs to collectively list its capital-project priorities from the individual community councils so that LUCC can give this list to Councilman Richard Snelgrove, who will take it to the MSD board meeting.

Mary talked about the 114th South sidewalk, an issue that has recently come to the GCC’s attention. Three homes in an island of unincorporated County, surrounded by Sandy City, on 114th S., have been having major flooding issues in their front yards. Since their homes are just south of Sunrise Elementary School and there is a walkway to the school and crosswalk next to their homes, this could qualify for Safe Access to Schools funding from UDOT. Mary and Tod have been working the issue with the residents, and Mary (after coordination with the GCC) has developed a powerpoint presentation for the County to use with UDOT and has submitted this item as one of our 2018 municipal priorities.

Sam Klemm[2] is the new policy advisor for Councilman Richard Snelgrove.

Sandy Police Department: Chief Kevin Thacker noted that JRI (justice reform initiative) is a good idea.  Nobody knew how much it would cost to run.  To run the program takes a lot of money.  Citations are used rather than jail for minor crimes.  UPD Chief Winder has been trying to get more beds open in the jail and transporting prisoners to outlying jails.

Sandy City also provides a Citizens Academy, which covers most of their government functions, not just the police department. Both Drew and Mary expressed interest in this course, which starts in September. If others are interested, they can contact Mary for more information.

Chief Thacker endorsed the GCC’s plan to send a letter of appreciation to Sheriff Jim Winder.

The Sandy Police Dept. will be switching over to Ford Interceptor SUVs.

Unified Police Department (UPD): Det. Paula Stinson reported that lots of burglaries have been occurring in east Granite.  UPD has made five graffiti arrests around the Pavilion, in the canyon.  Burglaries are happening at Park and Rides and trail parking lots.  There will be a Little Cottonwood Canyon cleanup day June 20 8:45 am at the Alta Lodge parking lot.  Paula noted that the west side stats are lower.  UPD’s Citizens Academy is planned for Aug. 30 thru Nov. 8, each Wednesday night from 6-10 p.m.  This class fills up fast and teaches one about everything UPD does. Those who have taken it (Drew, Mary…) recommend it highly.

Grit Mill Discussion/input from community: Susie described the Grit Mill project.  She showed photos illustrating how cars parked on the south shoulder of Little Cottonwood Canyon Road near the entrance to Wasatch Resort (WR) obstruct the views looking both up-canyon and down-canyon for motorists attempting to egress from WR.  She talked about the planned center turn lane and expressed the opinion that this lane will increase the danger for motorists.  She also stated that many users of the parking lot would likely cross the highway to access the main canyon trail, endangering themselves in the process. With the entrance to the parking lot directly across from the WR road, some residents feel that this will increase the risk of accidents.[3]

Because there are few UPD officers for the canyons, Susie anticipates scant enforcement of the no-parking policy along the highway.  If a tow-away zone is established, cars cannot be towed until they’ve been there for at least 48 hours.  She relayed Jim Williams’ concern about a parking lot becoming a magnet for criminal activity.  She also stated that a new lot is not needed for climbers because most climbers use the existing Park and Ride lot.

Nycha expressed the opinion the Grit Mill parking lot could be beneficial by providing parking that’s off the road.  Mary said that the project could make the WR intersection safer, particularly by widening the highway and installing a turn lane. 

Ronnie Romero, a WR resident, expressed concern that the parking lot would encourage crime and will invite criminals into the neighborhood.

Michael explained that the project has already been approved for a long time and is pretty much a “go”.    Josh said that GCC has no authority over this issue.  Drew said our job is to advocate.

Paul Albertson, WR resident, asked whether WR residents are in favor of the parking lot and asked whether GCC thinks WR residents are in favor.  Once it’s built it can’t be unbuilt.

Bekee Hotze, USFS, says there’s not enough parking available for climbers (and this will get more of them off the road).

Paul says the placement of the parking lot is the problem and he is concerned about overflow parking (which, again, would block line-of-sight viewing of traffic).

Patrick Romero is a rock climber and does not know of any routes close to this area.  He’s concerned about creating a new destination.

Michael asked UPD about putting up “no-parking”signs.  Susie says that signage does not work.

Eamonn Walsh spoke in favor of the parking lot to get cars off the road.  The neighbors’ concerns are valid, but he recommended safety measures to mitigate any increased risk.  This should be a net positive.

Bill explained the federal NEPA process, which took place for this project in 2013.  He said that in 2013 he handed out flyers to Wasatch Resort residents explaining how to participate in the NEPA public-comment process.  Residents with whom he spoke at the time expressed a variety of opinions about the project, but a majority of residents appeared to be opposed to it.  Bill explained that the NEPA process is not a popularity contest and is instead based on the substantive merits of the comments and arguments submitted by individuals.  This is different from county processes that we’re used to.

Bekee said that expansion of the Temple Quarry parking lot is still a possibility, but the decision has already been made on the Grit Mill.

Michael suggested arranging a meeting with Steve Quinn, UDOT, for residents.  Then we could prepare a motion for next month.

Bekee, who remembered that she was getting married the next day (what dedication!) advised that Marshall Alford will be in charge during Bekee’s honeymoon.

Michael suggested that residents make their comments in writing. [Update: Michael developed a flyer and mailed it out to all WR residents, asking for comments or suggestions on this project. They were received and WR residents, GCC members, and Tod all attended a meeting with UDOT, USFS, and SLCo Transportation Engineering on June 29. Informal notes on the meeting are available from Mary, upon request.]

Treasurer’s report: Drew Weaver: Drew reported that we have in Checking:   $91.51; in Savings:  $14,356.06; for a Total:  $14,447.57.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:28 p.m.

[1] Wikipedia: Naloxone, sold under brand name Narcan among others, is a medication used to block the effects of opioids, especially in overdose.

[2] Sam formerly worked under County Commissioner Callahan and has spent the last 17 years working for the Wasatch Front Regional Council (WFRC). He will be a great resource for transportation issues.

[3] Highway engineers advise that the safest design for an intersection like this is to have the parking lot entrance directly across from the road, so that motorists don’t have even more places to look for traffic.

Minutes of the Granite Community Council

Date: May 3, 2017
Location: Metropolitan Water District Offices Conference Room

3430 East Danish Road

Council Members Present:

Michael Braun, Chair (District 1 & 2); Vaughn Cox (District 3); Katie Clayton (District 4); Josh Kanter (District 5); Nycha Schlegel (District 5); Bill Clayton, Secretary (District 6); and Mary Young (non-voting Chief Administrative Officer).

Council Members Absent:

Jeff Summerhays (Alt., District 1 & 2); Gorm Klungervik, Vice-Chair (District 1 & 2); Ryan Houmand (District 3); Spencer Mortensen (Alt., District 3); Drew Weaver, Treasurer (District 4); Cyndi Douglass (District 5); and Susie Albertson (District 6).

Guests Present:

Rita Lund, Salt Lake County (SLCo) Liaison

Deputy Chief Bill O’Neal, Sandy Police Department

Julia Geisler, Salt Lake Climbers Alliance

Steve Quinn, Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT)

Monica Zoltanski, Dimple Dell Preservation Community

Bekee Hotze, United States Forest Service (USFS)

Residents, including Boy Scouts: Ashley Anderson, Luke Schreiber, Harrison Plott, Zack Simpson, Mark Simpson, Ryan Plott, and Kelli & JR Anderson

Det. Paula Stinson, Unified Police Department (UPD)

Chief Jason Mazuran, UPD/Midvale Precinct

Tod Young, SLCo Mountainous Planning District Planning Commission

Call to Order: Michael Braun convened the meeting of the Granite Community Council (GCC) at 7:02 pm and welcomed attendees to the meeting. Members of Boy Scouts of America Troop 1044 led the Pledge of Allegiance. The minutes of the April 5, 20`7 meeting were approved unanimously.

Public comment on items not on the agenda:  Julia Geisler of the Salt Lake Climbers Alliance (SLCA) said that the Forest Service is ready to remove the Whitmore Pavilion in Little Cottonwood Canyon above Wasatch Resort and expects to begin work in May or June.  A temporary bridge will be placed across the creek over the existing bridge where the trail crosses the creek upstream from Wasatch Resort.  Once the pavilion has been removed, SLCA and any other volunteers willing to help will remove graffiti from the boulder field above the site.

Nycha Schlegel said that Sigma Chi has an annual national convention in the Salt Lake area and is looking for service projects.  She suggested contacting them to help with graffiti removal.

Picks and Pans:  Council members had no picks or pans to suggest for the last month.

Salt Lake County Report/Rita Lund: Three Granite Community Council (GCC) members attended the April meeting of the new League of Unincorporated Community Councils (LUCC):  Mary Young, Michael Braun and Bill Clayton.  The proposed bylaws of the LUCC allow two voting representatives from each community council, but any community council member may attend.  Mary offered at the LUCC meeting to act as secretary for the group.

Bill explained that LUCC is different and separate from the MSD Advisory Board and ACCT, and serves a different purpose from those two groups.

The new General Manager of the MSD is Bart Barker, subject to approval by the MSD Board of Trustees.  The MSD Board of Trustees meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month in the Salt Lake County Council’s Committee of the Whole (COW) room.

Millcreek is likely to leave the MSD.  Mary will send out the list of Granite’s already-established 2016 municipal priorities to GCC members [Update: this was done and the members who responded agreed with them]; Rita needed to provide these to others in the County.  About $300,000 is available this year to the unincorporated areas for small projects.  The unincor-porated areas are currently the fourth largest group behind Millcreek, Magna, and Kearns. 

Millcreek will be contracting directly with the County for some services for a little while after they leave the MSD.  Millcreek will probably leave the MSD by July.  Millcreek brings in about 40% of MSD revenue.  The MSD budget will have to be renegotiated after Millcreek leaves.

Michael asked whether Millcreek will be part of the Mountainous Planning District (MPD).  Tod said this is not the case.  No portions of Millcreek City are in the MPD.  Thus, Millcreek has authority to implement its own Foothill Canyon Overlay Zone (FCOZ) ordinances.

Katie Clayton asked about the proposed sidewalk on the south side of Little Cottonwood Road.  Rita suggested talking to Madeline Francisco-Galang of County Public Works.  Vaughn Cox said the sidewalk had been requested by the Safe Sidewalks Program for students who walk to Albion Middle School.  Steven Quinn expects applications to be in soon for 2018 UDOT projects.

Rita reported that Madeline said they’re already working on right-of-way coordination for the Little Cottonwood Road sidewalk and could begin construction in May.  The 10000 South sidewalk should have the conceptual plan available by June 1st.  [Update: A meeting to present the plan to residents is planned for Tuesday, June 20th, at the Granite Park.] Katie said that she would start informing neighbors on the affected stretch of Little Cottonwood Road.

Deputy Chief Bill O’Neal, Sandy Police Department spoke to the group and answered questions. Michael mentioned a stolen car on Dimple Dell Road.  Dep. Chief O’Neal said that criminals pull cars onto stolen trailers, then ditch the trailer and reported that about 90% of stolen cars get recovered.

Mary thanked Sandy PD for responding to residents’ speeding concerns.  Sandy has sent out motorcycle officers to enforce speed limits.  Sandy PD patrols 400 miles of roadway.  Motor-cycle officers put out speed trailers, which count the number of cars and their speeds and produce statistics.  They use this to determine whether there is a speeding problem in a given area.

Tod asked whether permanent speed radar signs record data.  Dep. Chief O’Neal said that most of them do not.  Permanent speed signs are there to remind people that they are speeding.

Monika Zoltanski talked about illegal activities in the Dimple Dell Regional Park (DDRP) (fires, drug use, transient camps, etc.).  She said that it can be difficult to describe where a problem or incident is happening.  She suggested the installation of markers in the park so that locations of problems can be identified accurately.  She also suggested foot patrols or horse patrols in the park.  Dep. Chief O’Neal said that Sandy PD does not do mounted patrols.  However, he said that youth officers, who work in schools, will spend a lot of time in the park during the summer patrolling on quad runners and bikes, and some will also be on foot.

Michael asked for the Sandy Dispatch number, which is 801-799-3000 (non-emergency done through Salt Lake PD).  We are on the verge of transitioning to a new universal 911 system but not there yet.  Chief O’Neal said that Sandy PD will respond to emergencies even outside the Sandy City limits.

Michael asked whether there are regularly scheduled patrols in the DDRP.  Dep. Chief O’Neal said that this happens only in the summer.

Leash laws are taken seriously in DDRP.  Michael asked whether it would be beneficial to go to a Sandy City Council meeting to ask for a designated patrol. 

Josh talked about the snow closure issue and getting all three police departments together (this is being coordinated by Unified Police Department (UPD) Canyon Patrol).  He praised Sandy PD for its increased ticketing of cars parked illegally on the Little Cottonwood Rd. curve near the Orgill Trailhead.

Smash-and-grabs are a daily problem in parking lots, and it’s hard to catch suspects.  Always remove valuables from your car when you park in a lot.

UPD/Paula Stinson: There’s been not much activity in East Granite, but quite a bit of activity in West Granite.  Dimple Dell got hit with vehicle burglaries and thefts.  Three suspects have been apprehended.  Michael’s family were victims of a burglary in which equipment was stolen in the middle of the day, at the end of a private road.  Paula says they are actively working on these cases.  She said to keep vehicles secured and not leave anything in vehicle.  Cars are being stolen from open garages.

There have also been many thefts of lawn equipment from lawn-care trucks.  Also, criminals will steal a car to use in a crime, then dump the car.  A lot of this crime is drug-related.  Doorbell cameras are very useful in helping catch suspects.  But you need a good camera for it to be useful.  Images need to be clear. 

Nycha talked about fireworks and the danger they pose near the foothills. Bekee Hotzee says USFS has one law enforcement agent.  But their fire investigators are good at finding out after the fact who started a fire.

Monika Zoltanski, Chair of the Dimple Dell Preservation Community (DDPC): The DDPC is determined to keep asphalt out of the park, and has presented 6,500 signatures to the County.  They are still waiting for the results of the $15,000 survey being conducted by Sandy City and Salt Lake County.  DDPC would like to see the $4 million allotted for paving used for many projects in the park instead of paving the north rim trail.

Michael said that at the recent LUCC meeting, County Councilman Richard Snelgrove had stated that the $4 million could be used for other projects in the park if no paving is done. 

Monika provided examples of alternative uses for the money, including picnic tables, benches, tie rails for horses, interpretive signage, playground equipment at trailheads, etc.  Parking lot surfaces would be best maintained with oiled gravel.  Other suggestions include purchasing water shares to help restore wildlife, adding restrooms, restoration of native plants, removal of noxious weeds, install trail markers, remove the amphitheater, restore the Poulson house and use it as a visitor center, remove asphalt paving on the trail west of the 13th East tunnel, etc.

Vaughn asked about DDPC’s interaction with the Dimple Dell Advisory Board (DDAB).  Monika said the DDAB voted 11-1 against the paving of the trail, but she does not see the DDAB as being sufficiently influential to prevent it from happening. [Update: Mayor McAdams held a press conference at the DDRP on May 12th to announce that the North Rim Trail won’t be paved and a task force, including reps from County, Sandy, and the DDPC and DDAB will decide on which projects will be funded with the $4 million. Hooray!]

Someone proposed that some of the weed cleanup that the DDPC is leading would be a good Eagle Scout project, and one of the scouts present took an interest in this.

Grit Mill Parking Lot: Steve Quinn, Project Manager for UDOT Region 2, and District Ranger Bekee Hotze (US Forest Service) provided an update on UDOT/USFS plans for Grit Mill site in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Steve said that a consortium of parties is involved in the project, which is planned to include a parking lot at the Grit Mill site, restrooms, a trail connecting to the existing rock-climbing access trails west of the site, and improvements to SR210 (the Little Cottonwood Canyon highway).  He said that the connector trail has already been built.  The planned parking-lot entrance would be directly across from Wasatch Resort Road.  Steve said that putting the entrance in that location would be safer than offsetting it from Wasatch Resort Road. The road will be expanded to include center turn lanes into both the parking lot and Wasatch Resort, which should improve both access and safety.

Katie said that a parking lot in that location, in addition to being used by rock climbers, might be used by people wanting to access the main Little Cottonwood Canyon trail, and that those people would end up crossing the highway to get to the trail.  Steve said that UDOT is aware of this and is considering various pedestrian-crossing solutions.

Steve said that the project will be funded with a combination of federal and UDOT funds.  UDOT is providing $125,000, federal funding is providing $400,000, and Salt Lake City public utilities is paying $45,000 for toilets.

Katie suggested the construction of a connector trail directly across from the proposed intersection to the Little Cottonwood Trail, to reduce the amount of foot and bike traffic on Wasatch Resort Road.  Bekee said the USFS could consider this.  She emphasized that the public-comment period for the project had ended a long time ago, but said that small modifications to the project plan could still be considered.  She said that the parking lot would contain 25-35 parking spaces.  The delay from the end of the public-comment process to the beginning of construction was due to lack of funding for the project. Construction is expected to begin in 2018. 

Steve said that several residents of Wasatch Resort had met with him recently.  They expressed concern about locating the parking lot entrance directly across from Wasatch Resort Road.  Steve said the planned alignment is the safest configuration.  He said that residents had also expressed concern about the potential that parking-lot users would cross the highway and use Wasatch Resort Road to access the Little Cottonwood Canyon trail.

Bekee said there are no plans to put lights in the parking lot.  She said that a gate will be put in place to close the parking lot during the winter, unless UDOT decides to plow the lot in winter.

Michael said that the public-comment periods for both USFS and UDOT have ended, but that both entities remain open to additional comments.  He asked whether it’s possible that the project could be shut down at this point.  Steve said that this is unlikely, but that UDOT is still willing to hear people’s comments and concerns.  Bill asked whether UDOT had its own separate formal public-comment process for the project.  Steve said that UDOT did not, but that UDOT used the public comments submitted to the UFSF as its source of public input.

Michael encouraged Council members to visit the Grit Mill site.

Steve gave his contact info and encouraged residents to call him with questions or suggestions:

Steve Quinn, squinn@utah.gov, Cell 801-503-6451, Office 801-887-3631.

Michael asked about the speed limit on the highway.  Steve said that it won’t be changed, but that there will be signage to warn motorists about the intersection.  Also, parking along the highway will be prohibited as it will obstruct line of sight for people pulling out of the intersection.

Steve mentioned also that Little Cottonwood Canyon Road will be repaved in its entirety from the mouth of the canyon to Alta.  [Update: Mary has been informed that UDOT will repave Little Cottonwood Rd. from 2200 E. to the mouth of the canyon, starting in June. More details to follow.]

Michael asked about putting a flashing yellow light on the highway.  Steve said that a flashing yellow light to indicate traffic pulling out from Wasatch Resort or the parking lot might be considered, but it’s unlikely that a pedestrian-actuated crosswalk light that would stop traffic in both directions would be installed.

Michael suggested giving priority to considering an alternative connector trail to the LCC trail, as suggested by Katie.  Steve agreed that this idea needs to be seriously considered.

Bekee said there will be strict enforcement of a no-parking policy along the highway once the parking lot is in.  USFS might charge fees at parking areas, which would fund additional USFS law enforcement.  The Salt Lake Climbers’ Alliance will begin encouraging climbers to use the new trail system once the parking lot is in place.

Steve said once the parking lot is in place, enforcement of a no-parking policy along the road will be coordinated with UPD.  UPD patrol cars will be instructed to ticket any violators.  J.R. Anderson, a resident of Wasatch Resort, asked whether the no-parking zone would extend all the way to the mouth of the canyon.  Steve said that this is not yet known.  He said that Bekee is in charge of the land management plan and will decide on a policy, which UDOT will adopt.

Ashlee Anderson, a local resident, summarized an email from Susie Albertson expressing concern about potential dangers for pedestrians and residents posed by the plan.  Concerns included overflow parking on the road, plus dangers to motorists and street-crossing pedestrians due to the curve in the road at the point of the proposed intersection.

Ashlee asked when the public-comment period took place, and said she had not been aware of it.  Bill said that the public-comment period was in 2013, and showed a flier that he had produced at the time and had distributed to Wasatch Resort residents, which described the USFS proposal for the Grit Mill property, along with an alternative proposal by Jim Williams, and which also gave instructions on where to submit comments.  Bill said that he distributed this flier to each household in Wasatch Resort at the time, except for one house that he inadvertently missed.

Michael expressed appreciation to UDOT and USFS for having listened to the concerns of residents.

Steve said that the legislature had recently authorized $100 million for recreational access projects.

It was noted that Susie Albertson plans to bring residents with comments about the parking lot design to the June 7 meeting, which Steve graciously agreed to attend and respond to.

Granite Community Council Website Design Changes: Tod asked people to give their suggestions about any changes to the GCC website (www.granitecommunitycouncil.net).   There tend to be more visits on the days of GCC meeting.  Mary pointed out that the purpose is to be informative rather than persuasive.  Nycha suggested that more items be dated. Changes can be discussed further in future GCC meetings or can be email to Tod (todyoung7@xmission.com) or to Mary (tmayoung@xmission.com).

Treasurer’s Report: The report was given that we have a total of $14,446.96, with $10 paid for registration, a $3,122 deposit from the County, and $0.55 interest

The meeting was adjourned at 9:10.